Gym diaries | Whats in my gym bag | 2016

If you read my blog, you'll know last year I joined a gym! Shocking for a lazy bum like me. 

I haven't build any fitness levels up as we went for a while, then work and christmas got in the way big time! 

But - I really was enjoying going and I will continue to go this year because this will be the year I get healthy and loose tons of weight :D 

I thought I would show you what I take to the gym with me because if you read my 1st 'gym diaries' post, you'll know joining a gym was a huge deal to me. I was researching as much as possible and one of the things I researched was what the flip are you meant to take to a gym with you! I found it quite interesting as everyone takes different things. If people box, they are likely to have their own boxing gloves, if they have a locker, they might have a key and padlock. If they shower there, they would take a towel etc. & maybe their gym has a swimming pool so they would be prepared for that too. 

My gym bag is a standard and basic version so if you're new to the gym it should help you :) 

I hope you find it as interesting as I did!


Item 1 - Trousers

I have just bought some new trousers from Simply Be. I already have some tight, stretchy long nike legging things and some 3/4 length cotton adidas bottoms but some days I fancy wearing cotton and others I want to wear tight trousers. I bought new ones because I like my cotton ones but some days i'd prefer them to be longer and cosier. 

Basically, wear whatever you're comfortable in. I do really like my tight nike ones because they have some sort of air regulating thing in them and they are super super comfy! I didn't expect them to be because i'm on the bigger side, I thought they'd make me look larger but they don't, they're actually quite flattering. 

Item 2 - A top

My fave type of top is a cotton vest top. Simple black, quite long top. I find it quite flattering and really comfy. 
As you can see in the picture above, I have even wore my Little Mermaid vest top - obvs. 
I have worn a loose t-shirt too. But again, anything you are comfy wearing. 

Item 3 - Trainers

I wear some adidas ones I got in the sale from Very a few years ago. These ones are so comfy and flexible but strong. I think they are perfect for the gym because they also have a bit of bounce on them. They also have some sort of 'smart technology' so your feet stay cool. 

I think with trainers, to find the right ones you will need to access what you want to do at your gym. If you're a runner, you will want running trainers but if you prefer weight lifting or classes you will be looking for ones with different specifications.

Item 4 - Socks

To go with trainers, you're gonna need socks - simple.

Item 5 - Sports bra

Obviously such an important thing to have at the gym or for any exercise. You want to make sure you are well protected to minimise any problems. I bought a shock absorber one which wasn't that cheap but I think it's something you should invest it. It has a really firm back that fastens in 2 places. It also has air pockets to keep you cool and the straps are a nice size, not too chunky but big enough to support. 

Item 6 - Deodorant

I like to put a bit on before I go into the gym so I feel fresh. Obviously you can also use it after your workout. 

Item 7 - Lip balm

This is so important for me! My lips get dry anyway but when I breathe more obviously the air going past my lips really dries my lips out. It's not an issue for everyone but I'd recommend taking one with you if you're new to the gym. I wouldn't like to be there without it. I find that Balmi is my fave as it doesn't dry out - it's amazing!

Item 8 - Hair bobble

I take a hair bobble so I can get my hair out of my way. You don't want your hair sticking to your neck when working out. Tying my hair back also makes me feel more serious, gets me in a rhythm if I can swing my pony tail slightly and it waffs air on my neck when i'm hot! - Top Tip!

Item 9 - Small towel

Gyms will recommend you take a small towel to wipe down equipment once you've used it. 
I also like to sit on it on the rower so it doesn't hurt your bum!

Item 10 - Hoodie

I love this hoodie! I got it from New Look and it's so so soft inside and it is so comfy! 
I love the colour too. I like to wear it when I leave the gym so I stay warm. You shouldnt exercise and then go outside in the cold apparently so I always take my hoodie with me. It's actually the thing I look forward to after going because it feels so good. 

Item 11 - Water! 

Although not in the picture, water is a very important thing to take with you. I always take a full bottle with me because there is only a tidly water fountain that has a queue at my gym. You can use the taps in the toilets but to be honest, you want fresh drinking water. You have to stay hydrated and if you're like me, you're mouth will go dry if you push yourself. Can't carry on without water.

Item 12 - Gym bag!

To put all of these things in, you need a gym bag. This one was from John Lewis in the sale. I think it was £18 instead of £30 or something like that. I have always loved this style of club bags. I love that is says nike across it and it's black and white so it looks stylish. You don't have to have a proper gym bag, it just made it easier for me when joining to make me feel good. 

Finally - just remember - people at the gym are focusing on what they are doing, not what you are doing or what you are wearing. If you want to join but are conscious of being judged, don't worry about it. Wear what you are comfy in. You don't have to spend a lot of money, but if you want to that's fine. I know if I feel good and i'm comfy, I get on with it so much easier! 

I love looking at work out clothes so I'm going to set myself goals as to when I can buy it IF I get the urge. So to stop me going crazy - I know a lot of people have a LOT of gym clothes - I will set myself goals like 'when I have lost 1 stone, I can buy a new sports bra'. 
That should keep me motivated!

I will leave you with a picture of me after a workout. I lost the power in my legs, went to bend down to get in my bag and fell on the floor so I stayed there haha. 


What do you keep in your gym bag? Did you guys find this useful? 



Post a Comment

0 Comments