Trying Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation for the first time on my acne prone skin | Makeup review

 Not one to keep you in suspense … HOW have I never tried this before?! 

I ran out of my usual Mac Studio Fix foundation which I love; but as it’s been so hot recently it made me realise I wanted a foundation that looked more skin like, wasn’t as heavy on my face but still had coverage as I suffer with acne. So instead of repurchasing Mac, I was on the hunt for another foundation.

After researching I came across the Illamasqua Skin Base foundation and knew I had to try it. Thank goodness I did because it ticks all those boxes perfectly. 

The consistency is a lot thicker than I expected but it blends out so smoothly and well. I don't have to use it all over my face for it to blend into my skin perfectly. 

A little goes a long way and it covers and smoothes the look of your skin nicely. It is very buildable too so you can easily build coverage up to suit. However, even using a small amount you get a great amount of coverage but you don't look caked in foundation at all.

Here is a before & after pic. 

I didn't even apply much and look how well it covers my acne! I could for sure build it up even more and this is without powder too! It adds a little glow to your skin, giving you a fresh faced look.


Do you see what I mean when I say it looks like your skin but without such severe skin problems :P 

As a wearer of glasses, my foundation can really clog up around the bridge of my nose (eurgh). This foundation barely does that! It honestly feels like it's skincare with an added benefit of coverage as it feels so light and fresh on your face. 

My skin type is combination. I have quite a few dry patches but throughout the day I find my skin goes oily so it's hard to find a foundation that is good for both. After the day is done, I'm so happy and surprised to say this doesn't cling to my dry skin barely at all, it doesn't melt off or show where you've touched your face. 

It really does stay on for a full days wear. 


I actually guessed my shade online as I'm quite good at it to be honest. I went for the shade 3.5 and I'd say it's a perfect match! For reference, I use and have been shade matched to Mac Studio Fix Foundation in NW13 and NARS Longwear Foundation in Oslo. Standard shades I'd be 'Ivory'.

It's £33 but I bought it with 30% off which made it like £23 which is great! The offer actually made me try it while the price was so good. 

After watching a YouTube video on this makeup, I got sucked into buying the Skin Base Concealer Pen too in the shade Light 1! I then got a free gift where I could choose from a few products. I chose the Beyond Veil Primer Mini as the girl in the video I watched used this product as well.

The concealer pen is brilliant to add a little more coverage under my eyes and brightens them a little too. The primer is also lovely. It has a very odd gel like texture which can be quite hard to get out the tub but it melts into your face and forms a lovely skin base for your foundation to sit on. 


Have you tried this foundation before? It's literally fast become my favourite foundation which I wasn't really expecting. I have always loved the thicker coverage (which I will still enjoy), but at the moment I am preferring a more natural look when it comes to foundation. 

What do you think? Do you like the look of it? Let me know in the comments. 

You can view the foundation on the Illamasqua website here > (not aff)

Hol Xx


Follow me:
INSTAGRAM | @holliedeexo
YOUTUBE | Hollie Dee
TWITTER | @hollie_dee







Post a Comment

0 Comments